Thursday 10 June 2010

Thief

The Thief stole into my life by broad daylight. Amongst loud cheers, a rhythmic drum beat and swirls of colour. Each visit would have Mother cooking the most wonderful feasts. Spices, lemon, lamb, oven full with roasting chicken- aromas dancing through the house. Our senses becoming alive with the promise of these flavours.

And in you would boldly walk, entourage behind. I would sit hands clasped in my lap amongst you all. My heart beating wildly at the thought of the fairy tale I would walk into with you. Naively, I thought I had nothing to offer but you had your eye on my youth, my Spirit. You watched it with baited breath, waiting for the moment that you could commit your crime.Dressed in red with gold to weigh me down, I was taken from the sanctuary of Mother's home and placed in yours. The drum beat kept beating, drowning out the voice of my Spirit crying to itself.

Slowly and cleverly you began to steal.

Taking everything that you could, gleefully laughing at your achievements. Pride, Dignity, Self Respect, Sanity...all stripped away;leaving me curled on the floor searching for my Belongings.

Only when you knew that there was nothing left to take you raised your hand in anger and frustration. It was then I looked and saw what you had. I stood up and gathered it all, held my Belongings close to my heart and with Time repaired the damaged done.

I sit high amongst the trees now, feasting on all that is wonderful, magical, beautiful. The drums beats to the celebration of Life and I dance with Dignity, Respect, Happiness and those I love.

I look down sometimes and catch you creeping, searching... a thief without his goods.
A Thief without my Belongings.

No comments:

Post a Comment